How to write a discussion essay
A discussion essay, also called a controversial essay, is where you express your opinion about a topic. When writing one,
So let’s deeply explore the structure and components of a successful discussion paper.
Choose a controversial topic
Choosing a topic is the first step when starting your essay. When choosing a topic, make sure it is something that you are personally interested in as it will be easier for you to write.
ImportantYou will need to discuss both sides of the argument surrounding the topic of the discussion essay. Instead of writing only one side of the argument, you should write different aspects of it. So choose the topic accordingly
Now let’s have a look at discussion essay topic examples.
After choosing the essay topic, you should create your outline to finish planning your essay.
Create an outline
The outline allows you to understand how to combine all the information and thesis statement to support claims of your essay.
Create a basic outline for your discussion essay. Start with a preliminary version of your thesis statement, main argument, opposing argument, and other main points.
Here is an outline example for a discussion essay.
Discussion essay outline example
Title: The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare
- Start with a strong and engaging opening.
- Introduce the topic and its relevance.
- Present the thesis statement that highlights the ethical considerations in AI integration in healthcare.
- Body Paragraph 1: Enhancing Diagnostics and Accuracy
- Begin with a clear topic sentence about AI's role in diagnosis.
- Explain AI's superiority in analyzing medical data and images.
- Provide an example of AI detecting diseases early.
- Discuss concerns about the potential effects on human expertise.
- Body Paragraph 2: Personalized Treatment and Privacy
- Introduce the focus on personalized treatment.
- Explain how AI can customize therapies based on individual data.
- Give an example of optimizing medical outcomes.
- Raise ethical issues about privacy, consent, and data security.
- Body Paragraph 3: Ethical Responsibility and Accountability
- Start with a topic sentence about accountability.
- Discuss the challenge of assigning blame in AI-related errors.
- Address the importance of unbiased AI algorithms.
- Mention the need for regulation and oversight.
- Restate the significance of the ethical landscape of AI in healthcare.
- Summarize the core points discussed in the body paragraphs.
- Reiterate the importance of balancing AI advancements with ethical considerations.
- End with a call to uphold ethical principles in the integration of AI in healthcare.
So now that you’ve seen an outline example, let’s start writing your essay with an introduction.
Write your introduction
Pro tipThe introduction should be concise but comprehensive. Generally, it's recommended to keep it around 10-15% of the total essay length.
Discussion essay introduction example
Now that we have written our introduction, we can move on to the discussion parts.
Compose the body of your essay
Write down the main points of the body paragraphs of your discussion paper. A well-written body paragraph illustrates, justifies, and/or supports your thesis statement. When writing body paragraphs:
Pro tipMake sure each paragraph is of similar length to maintain a balanced presentation of the facts.
Discussion essay body paragraphs
Body Paragraph 1: Enhancing Diagnostics and Accuracy
Body Paragraph 2: Personalized Treatment and Privacy
Body Paragraph 3: Ethical Responsibility and Accountability
Now, let’s look at how to end your work.
Conclude your discussion essay
Writing a strong conclusion for a discussion essay is essential to leave a lasting impression on your readers and summarize the main points of your argument effectively. Here are the steps on how to write a good conclusion for your discussion paper:
Things to avoid in conclusionNever introduce new information in the conclusion. Also, avoid simply copying sentences from body paragraphs.
Let’s have a look at a conclusion example for a discussion essay..
Discussion essay conclusion example
Remember that a conclusion is your final opportunity to leave a strong impression, so make it memorable and impactful.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is a discussion essay different from other types of essays?
Unlike other common essays that might focus on presenting a single argument, a discussion essay presents multiple perspectives on a topic. It strives to remain neutral and balanced while analyzing different viewpoints.
Can I express my personal opinion in a discussion essay?
Yes, you can include your personal opinion, but it should be presented alongside other viewpoints. Your opinion should be supported by evidence and analysis, and you should strive for a balanced presentation.
Do I need to include counterarguments?
Yes, including counterarguments is essential in a discussion essay. Addressing opposing viewpoints demonstrates your understanding of the topic and strengthens your analysis.
How do I ensure a balanced presentation of viewpoints?
Present each viewpoint objectively and support it with evidence. Give equal attention to different perspectives and avoid using biased language.
How can I transition between different viewpoints in my essay?
Use transitional words and phrases like “however,” “on the other hand,” and “in contrast” to smoothly guide readers between paragraphs and viewpoints.